Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wait’ll You See the Makeover!!!

I TOTALLY did NOT see this while junkin’ yesterday. My hubby was kneeling on the floor messing with ‘something’. I thought he was looking at BIG stereo speakers and wondering, ‘Why?’ I went to see what he was doing, and he said, ‘I guess you didn’t see this?’

Well, I knew it was a sewing machine, but what? Obviously, the case is in pretty poor shape. The veneer is peeling off the base. The top is in better shape, but DULL, and some veneer is lifting, but not damaged like the bottom. It COULD be glued and shined up?Thinking smile

singer 99 003

singer 99 004

I decided it was worth taking home for the $10 price tag when I found it was a Singer 99, which is a 3/4 size version of the Singer 66 (also Redeye style). It had the electrical ‘works’ under the metal plate on the right side, and a motor attached. It also had a light. The wiring was FRIGHTENING! There was NO WAY I was going to even plug it in. I like my house. I don’t want to burn it down. There was also one other problem. It did not have the knee bar, which came with this model, so without putting a whole ‘nother motor, and converting it to a ‘foot pedal’ version, this machine was worthless for electrical use. I had another idea in mind though. Smile

I stripped off the motor and light, and planned on just trashing the case.

singer 99 002

Here she is, (before) DUCT TAPE removed, and DIRTY.  (Why would anyone put duct tape on the bed of a machine with decals?) It has no pressure foot, and it is missing the slide plate. You might ALSO notice, that it is an OLDER version, as it has no Backtack (reverse), and the stitch length is regulated by the knob just above the metal Singer emblem. Research showed she was born in 1923.

singer 99 001

Stay tuned! This baby has a brighter future!

Michelle

6 comments:

  1. Is this the oldest one of your collection? Even if it does not work just having it is important because of its age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same machine what mine is missing is the metal piece that goes over the motor to the right of the machine .When I took it in to be serviced ,they put a piece of plexiglass over it .I'll post a picture on my blog .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 66 that I'm converting to a hand crank, and the 3/4 Spartan. I don't have the 99. She's cute. I DID get a bentwood cover last week (no base). A little Old English stain remover did wonders for it. Now to find the machine and base to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!
    Thanks for the invite to your blog! I've subbed to it, and can't wait to read through more of it! You should join us in the Vintage section of the quiltingboard!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...