Sunday, October 5, 2014

October Quilting~Alzheimer’s Quilts~ Birthdays and Batiks!

Well….it looks like a mess, (I guess it was!), but we were sewing little Alzheimer’s quilts again this month for our monthly service project. Our monthly quilting group, informally named ‘Loose Tensions’ (referring to sewing machine ‘thread nests’ and our place to reduce ‘stress tensions’ once a month, or to ‘let loose!’) met yesterday. Oh, we always have such a good time! We started making little quilts last month with a couple bags of scraps, and this month when we cleaned up, we had more than what we started with! We felt like they multiplied right before our eyes! (A BIG Thank you to the Park View quilting ladies for saving their scraps for us!) You can see with the smiles on Renea’s and Patty’s faces that we were having a good time. This also was one of the last photos I took, and cleanup had already started, so this is what we had left at the end!

20141004_133920

Ronelle brought her own fabric strips, as she had a special person in mind for her little quilt. It turned out beautiful!

20141004_111623

Leslie and Margaret in deep concentration…

20141004_111631

KT (Katherine T) was working hard while Christie (right) stopped by for a short time to visit. She has been mending from back surgery so didn’t join us today, but did stop by to visit and to bring us more SCRAPS! Diane, on the left, also made a surprise visit to see us. She has recently retired, and it was her job that I am now doing at work in the office. She dropped by to bring me a birthday gift and to visit us all. When we started our quilt group in 2000, she was one of the first of us, but life got busy for her and she left us. Now that she is retired, we are trying to get her to rejoin, but an occasional visit is all she will promise right now….maybe someday.

20141004_111705

Here are some of the fruits of our labor. This one was mine.

20141004_133706

I don’t know who did the one on the left, but the brown one was Kate’s. 20141004_133718

Also not sure here, but I think the one in the front is KT’s…..(KT?)

20141004_133723

Not sure about the one on the left…Margaret’s maybe? I think Renea did the one on the right. Correct me girls!

20141004_133730

Ronelle’s finished one.

20141004_133744

Patty’s???

20141004_133751

October also meant birthdays for Renea and I. After the cleanup, here were my gifts. We love birthdays at quilting!

20141004_142742

Patty was our winner of the draw for choice of fabrics, and she chose Batiks. Aren’t they all just beautiful?????

20141004_142804

Before Diane and Christie left, I requested a group photo. All of us worked together at The CB Company. In the photo, is Patty, me, Diane, Margaret and Christie. Margaret started in December of 1978. Christie and I started on the same day in February of 1979, Diane started in April of 1979, and I don’t know the year Patty started, but she has also worked with us for many years. The company has been renamed, bought and sold many times, and now, it is called Dynamic Tube. Christie left us after about 4 years, and changed careers, but the rest of us I’m afraid are/were ‘lifers.’’ Christie and I became close friends right away and that friendship has lasted. She is the one responsible for our little quilting group’s birth. I believe our group is something that will keep us all joined together for many years to come….and when we get too old to remember each other, we will become NEW friends!!! Winking smile

20141004_112140

It was a great day, as usual, and at the end of the day, I again, thanked God for such wonderful friends.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday this month. Glad you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    Isn't it amazing how fabric multiplies?! Our prayer quilt group started because one lady who had recovered from cancer had too much fabric and thought prayer quilts would be a great idea. We all joined in--and I'm afraid we all now have more fabric than when we started 7 or 8 years ago! Of course, we've also made sever hundred quilts. It's also true that people give me fabrics--which I'm so happy to take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful time! Happy Birthday month!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun, I love the blocks ya'll are making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Stitchin friends are the best! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...